- Looking for its own identity, the proposal is based on the general framework of the surroundings and their own importance. There is a double intentionality, in the insertion of the element, between the two museums and its historical and cultural importance, inherent in their origin and functionality in and for the country.
- Starting from the irregular nature of land analysis, the intervention in this plot of land, with residual characteristics, while following the modernism present in buildings of reference, the proposal is presented as a connecting point, while taking formal rupture that requires composing assumptions for the projection of the focus in space.
- The conceptual autonomy proposal intend to connect two buildings through a dichotomy directions where it focuses on the essence, not only a connecting point or a mere extension, but an own identity creation of an area endowed with an important and formal independence.
- The architectural language that the proposal has, focuses on the interconnection between the indoor and outdoor space. Transparency and intense relationship with the environment can create strong communication links between the built object and the space.
|Site Plan / Roof Plan|
MATERIALIZATION and PROGRAM
- The contemporaneity of the proposed project aims to use materials such as glass, concrete and metal elements, looking for the desired structural lightness in order to build their own identity ever abandoning his nature and functionality inherent orientation of premises and creating the building, as well as, the intimate relation with the exterior.
- At the organizational level circulations seek the interrelationship between the two museums, creating guidance line, an identification point which is located over two floors.
- On the ground floor we can find one area of 193.26 square meters of storage space, which may be shared between the two museums, that can be further subdivided, and provides access to the upper floor (public area), by means of the service lift, as far as, the access to exterior. outdoor areas and the linking between the first floor of Alvar Aalto Museum.
- In the proposal superior floor, with connection to the two museums, we find exterior areas, destined to Museums Store, areas ofcirculation, storage, living space, a lift module and a service sanitary facilities. Up this whole area presents and is characterised by excellent transparency and brightness, which crosses the entire space trought de large window with external views. It is however worth noting, the concerning with accessibility, without architectural barrier, promoting free movement spaces.
André Terleira, Architect
Artur Dionísio, Architect
Hélder Rodrigues, ArchitectPaulo Gomes, Architect